Today is my 30th birthday! Happy birthday to me! No I am not depressed. I actually feel just fine about entering a new decade. So as a present to myself I am up early enjoying some time not being a wife and mother and having fun with math. Vi Hart (my favorite math blog) recently posted some fabulous videos that not only are about math, but about my favorite part of math, the golden spiral and Fibonacci. And they are all about math in nature! Biology is my second favorite subject, but the study of plants seemed to be the most boring part of Biology. If only we had studied plants like this! Anyway, I do not know Vi Hart personally but I am considering these videos a birthday gift to myself. I repost here for your enjoyment! (Of course I realize most of you don't care but I'm posting anyway). Happy Birthday to me!
You know we've talk about this before - Michael & I read an incredible little book when we were first married about Fibonacci and the Golden Spiral. These videos were amazing! I've actually shared these with some high school math teachers. I think if kids were exposed to just how COOL math really is - in their "REAL LIFE," they might have a bit more interest ~ even passion! I know I wish I had been! Thx for sharing. . . Please know that there is a ripple effect out there from YOUR self-gift!
OH! wanted to tell you I ran into one of your former students recently who graduated from Boston College and is now in veterinary school here in Georgia. "You were her BEST math teacher - ever"! (Anna - last name off-line, if you don't remember :
All that to say HAPPY NEW DECADE - may it be packed full of God's sweetest gifts!!! You are loved and delighted in!!!
Sooo cool, loved the art work. The math and science connections were fascinating but what kept me glued was her artwork. Great birthday present!!
ReplyDeleteYou know we've talk about this before - Michael & I read an incredible little book when we were first married about Fibonacci and the Golden Spiral. These videos were amazing! I've actually shared these with some high school math teachers. I think if kids were exposed to just how COOL math really is - in their "REAL LIFE," they might have a bit more interest ~ even passion! I know I wish I had been! Thx for sharing. . . Please know that there is a ripple effect out there from YOUR self-gift!
ReplyDeleteOH! wanted to tell you I ran into one of your former students recently who graduated from Boston College and is now in veterinary school here in Georgia. "You were her BEST math teacher - ever"! (Anna - last name off-line, if you don't remember :
All that to say HAPPY NEW DECADE - may it be packed full of God's sweetest gifts!!!
You are loved and delighted in!!!